Successful relationships take work. A thriving relationship requires some give, take and it definitely doesn’t happen overnight. Today I’m sharing 10 tips to establish and maintain a healthy relationship.
- Communicate. Talk to your partner about your feelings. Ask questions and actually listen to their answers. If you’re upset say so don’t make your partner try to figure out what’s up. Talking through your problems builds trust, and makes your relationship stronger. It’s not all about how to deal with your problems. Don’t forget to let them know when something they do makes you happy as well. Don’t limit communicating to only issues, discuss the good things as well.
- Be Honest. Be truthful with each other about what you think, and how you feel. Honesty also creates trust one of the key components to maintaining a heathy relationship.
- Support Each Other. Offer reassurance and encouragement to each other. Also let your partner know when you need their support this is important. Sometimes we get so involved in our work that a little “Hey I really need your support on/with this” offers a reminder and is a great way of letting your significant other be supportive of you as well.
- Compromise. Disagreements are a natural part of healthy relationships but it is important that you find a way to compromise. Try to solve conflicts in a fair and rational way.
- Respect Each Other. Your partner’s feelings have value and so do yours! Let your significant other know you are making an effort to keep their ideas in mind. Mutual respect is essential in maintaining healthy relationships.
- Keep Intimacy Alive. Intimacy is a critical part of a healthy relationship. Being intimate with someone does not necessarily mean getting physical. It is about being emotionally close to your partner and being able to let your guard down, no matter the situation. Don’t get too busy that you forget to spend quality time with your partner. After all it can help release the stress of day-to-day life.
- Make Goals Together. We can get so caught up in our own goals that we forget setting goals within our relationship is often vital. It encourages you to move in the same direction. Also, the mutual elation after the goal is achieved makes the reward even sweeter!
- Do Thoughtful Things For Your Partner Just Because. Oh, how I live for my significant other to do this! Not only does it show compassion and thoughtfulness, it also allows your partner to show how appreciative that are of you. After all it’s the little things that make us smile!
- Maintain A Healthy Family/Work Relationship. We need to work to survive and take care of our family. Don’t work so much that you miss out on special family events such as a child’s game or parent night at school. Make sure you are being attentive and respectful to your family. Work is important but so is your family make sure you balance the two.
- Stay Connected. Between children, careers and other commitments It can be difficult to stay connected to your partner. To keep things interesting plan a date night. If that seems old plan a weekend trip to change the scenery. While it allows you to spend quality time with your partner it also helps you both to reset from the day-to-day hustle and bustle of life. If you want your relationship to last please make an effort on this one!
Strong relationships don’t just happen. In order to have a flourishing relationship with your significant other you have to do the work. Use the 10 tips above to begin strengthening your relationship. After all, a healthy relationship is an important component for living a great life.